Sunday 22 May 2016

Hike to Mount Arthur

22-05-2016
Before the hotpot party yesterday night, I had no plan for today. I was thinking how to spend this boring day before I heard our friends from other house talked about hiking tomorrow. I asked to join since there are one more place. Luckily. But I didn't knew where will we go until this morning when I got in the car.

We departed from Motueka around 7.50am and arrived at Flora car park after one hour driving including 7km drive on harsh gravel road.  We started our journey at 8.56pm. It wasn't as steep as we expected but rather quite easy for us at the beginning. But still, it was very windy.

On the way we met a kiwi bird population research team of two. They told us about how the kiwi birds sound, how big are them, where to find them, the size of their egg and so on. We continued our journey all the way to the Mount Arthur Hut, took us slightly more than 1 hour to reach there.

Just a few meters before the hut, we saw a small pile of thin-layered snow beside the track. And honestly this is the first time I actually touched snow. It's like a dream came true. But I didn't eat it, I forgot to do so. Beside the pile of snow, a wild Weka bird appeared! I thought it was kiwi bird at the first sight lol. Apparently they are not afraid of human at all.

There were a lot of people at the hut. I heard that there were 11 people staying overnight at the hut yesterday. While we had a rest at the hut a lot of people told us not to continue further as the wind were too big, and it's too cold to continue. It's dangerous. We decided to go and have a look.

As expected it was very windy after 5 minutes from the hut, as we reached the peak of mountain. But it is still 4.7km to the Mount Arthur Summit. About 2.5 hours. We gave up and went back to the hut instead. Stayed there for almost an hour as we met a Malaysian couple there and talked together for a long time.

Reached home at 2.30pm, too much earlier than we expected. It was supposed to be 8-hour hike. If it wasn't for the weather. But this is probably the best hike I ever had. This is the first time I touched snow, the first time I experienced such wind and coldness, and the first time I seen a Weka bird. Didn't have the luck to come across kiwi bird.



Weka bird!












No comments:

Post a Comment