Friday 4 March 2016

Day 3 in Kaikoura

Went to try the coastal walkway of the Peninsula Walkway, before realising that the walkway is untracked, which means there are no tracks for you, you got to find a way yourself for the journey.

First of all, I entered the Fyffe House, there's an entry price to enter into the house so I walked away and took a look at the outside instead, there are a lot of whale bones around the house, I tried knocking on them lightly but it doesn't seemed to be strong enough for the foundation of the building, maybe the bone is too old?

The walkway is kind of tough though, unlike the one I tried yesterday, I never had any ache on my legs, but my legs are aching tonight. There was one time when I was trying to find a rock for my next step, the big wave suddenly came and washed my feet and shoes. I had to walk for another 2-3 hours with my feet soaked in salt water, damn.

Along the walkway I noticed there are a lot of carcass of fur seals, around 11 of them separated and some seagulls'. I don't know how they died there, they were kind of far from the sea, I'm not sure whether they were wash ashore after dying in the sea or they died on land. I think the latter one would be more possible.

The entire journey was more than 3 hours for me since I stopped a lot on my way. The fur seals wouldn't be terrified or shocked when a human gets near them, at least those I met behaved like this, they are not in breeding season maybe.

Tired day.




Yes, the whites wood-like structures are whale bones.


First time touching wild seaweeds, seemed like rubber but I can't stretch them or tear them apart.


I never realised it was sleeping there until I was 2m close to it haha.

This is how the walkway looks like, all stones.




The wall of the rocks basically looks like this, I think this lower ground of Kaikoura maybe submerged in water long time ago.











Just like a paradise, amazing view.





No comments:

Post a Comment