Tuesday 15 March 2016

Starting to work after Jobless for a month

I arrive in Temuka Holiday Park last Wednesday  in the afternoon, there's a lot of Malaysians and Japanese here, all of them are here for the apple picking job. I shared the same room with two Maoris, kind of friendly though haha, they are the tractor drivers for the apple picking job. One of them is Jack and another one is Roy. A lot of Maoris in New Zealand are quite friendly that you can be a good friend with them right after meeting them.

The pay for the job is quite ok, minimum wage of $14.75 +8% holiday pay, targeting only 2.5 bins per day. I don't know whether I can exceed that, since 2.5 bins are actually kind of less than what I expected, which is 4 bins. The contract rate starts on the fourth day so I will try my best to get a better contract rate pay, which is possible if you pick fast enough. Will be working from 7.30am to 5pm, 6 days per week.

The bad news is there is no free wifi here, frustrating.

Today is my third day picking apples, everything is going well except yesterday, rainy day. Damn. We worked for 2 hours only yesterday, it's so cold and unbearable. Today was not that good too as the floor as still wet as shit, it's like stepping on cow poos on every step, luckily my friend found me a second-hand worker boots, for only $10.

Nothing much to write after I moved here and started working, as I didn't travel to new places anymore. Things are repeating here, my daily life cycle, nothing special happened, meeting same people every day. But still, it's fun living here, all of us work at the same place, so honestly it's like a little family here. It's not that I hate this place, but I never talked that much here even though I already made friends with everyone here.

As there are no wifi here, I usually spent my extra time reading novels, new hobby, I suppose. And of course, cooking, as we need to prepare two meals at night, one for dinner and one for lunch the next day. Usually we made it simple, like sandwiches, rice, pasta or something like that, as we don't have microwave to heat up our food. We have the lunch under the apple trees with our team members.
It's actually not that hard picking apples, and it's not as boring as I thought, but it's still boring anyway. The problem is it's kind of difficult to reach the target of 4 bins a day, much difficult than I expected. But still, I will try my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment